If you’ve been researching recommendations on which paintball gun model to get, the Tippmann Cronus would have undoubtedly come up a couple of times. But just how true are the reviews? Does the Tippmann Cronus really stand out that much from its competition while staying below budget?
The Tippmann Cronus is one of the best budget paintball guns on the market in 2023. It’s a particularly popular choice among beginners as it offers unparalleled quality and performance for its price.
Still, singling out the absolute “best” of its category is a subjective matter. So, if you’re trying to decide whether Tippmann Cronus is the best budget paintball gun for you, make sure to read on as I explore its most unique features, advantages, and drawbacks, and answer some common questions about it.
In a hurry? Here is a quick overview:
For a good reason, I have included the Tippmann Cronus paintball marker in our Best Paintball Guns under $300 in the 2023 article.
For unmatched price you can receive the full package of anti-fog paintball mask, CO2 tank paintball harness, paintball pods and the gun itself. You can also of course option to buy the gun only. Although if you still don’t have any of the components listed above, then I highly recommend you to go with the bundle option.
If I were a beginner again in paintball, this is the marker I would want to have. The gun is cheap for what it offers, and it is a perfect entry gun. If you are not convinced by it, then I have listed some alternatives at the bottom.
The gun is customizable and built of good materials. So it is definitely suitable not just for speedball but also for woodsball.
Easy to customize
It comes in a bundle – perfect for beginners
Built to last
Simple to use
2 year warranty
Mechanical and not electronic
Note: There are 2 versions of this gun. I am showing you a review of the basic one since it is cheaper. It is still of the same quality, but this one looks more like a paintball gun.
But if you want to pay a little bit more, then you can also go for Tippmann Cronus Tactical. It is the same gun, with more of a combat gun look and costs a little bit more:
Tippmann Cronus Review: Unique Features, Pros, and Cons
The Tippmann Cronus is widely known as one of the best budget-friendly markers on the market, with the probably best price-to-value ratio you can find.
So, if you’re looking for a beginner-friendly paintball gun, you should absolutely consider this model. As you’ll soon see, it has an impressive suite of features, especially if you factor in its price.
That said, beginners aren’t the only ones who can benefit from this great-quality marker. Intermediate players can also get a lot of use out of it, as its performance is nothing to scoff at.
The price tag also includes more than just the gun. For the price, you get the entire Tippmann Cronus Package:
- Paintball pods
- 6+1 Paintball Harness
- CO2 tank
- Anti-fog paintball mask
- The Tippmann Cronus gun
If you’re a newcomer, this is a wonderful booster pack to get started. In addition, it’s very low-maintenance, yet another reason why it is an especially good choice for beginners who don’t know how to properly look after their markers yet.
Here are some of the most important features of this marker that set it apart from most of its competition:
- Customizable: If you feel like you’ve outgrown your current Tippmann Cronus or one of its components isn’t working optimally, there’s no need to throw the gun away altogether. as there are plenty of available upgrades you can easily incorporate into its design. For example, you can add a new hopper, stock, or barrel while also incorporating any other accessories to really personalize the gun and make it your own.
- Mechanical trigger: Mechanical triggers, unlike their electronic counterparts, are compressed, meaning you have to physically move them in order to shoot. This feature gives you far more control over your marker, allowing you to use your paintballs far more efficiently.
- Very little kickback: At the end of the day, what most players look for in their marker is good shot quality, and the Tippmann Cronus offers just that. One of the pillars of this feature, though, is decreased kickback, which this model also boasts. So, if you often find yourself struggling with keeping your balance, investing in a Tippmann Cronus might just be what you need in order to improve your game.
- Wide barrel: This marker is also characterized by a notably wide barrel, which doesn’t chop off the paintballs and keeps them intact for you to use them as intended. This quality also helps produce less noise, helping you keep a low profile when playing against several opponents.
- Inline bolt system: The inline bolt system is one of the quintessential features of this marker — it means that the main and rear bolts are placed at the same angle, making the gun easier to handle and move.
Though these are the most interesting features of this budget-friendly marker, it’s also important to keep in mind its less-exciting specs when deciding on whether purchasing it will actually be a worthwhile investment.
Here are some of the most important Tippmann Cronus specs:
- 3.7 lbs (1.7 kg)
- 9-inch (23 cm) barrel
- Available in two color combos
- Features a gas tank
- .68 caliber
If you’re still a bit unsure, read through the pros and cons outlined below and weigh them against themselves.
- Affordable yet durable. Most players purchasing a marker that costs less than $200 don’t expect it to keep performing optimally for a long time. However, that’s not the case with Tippman Cronus. The gun can be used for years on end, allowing you to advance your skills without having to fork out hundreds of dollars on new gear every couple of months.
- Can be used by a wide range of players. Though the marker is obviously more geared toward beginners, its performance is more than enough, even for those who are a bit more experienced. That’s why you’ll often spot intermediate players carrying around a Tippman Cronus – after all, they’ve mastered it, and it still performs exceptionally, so why change?
- User-friendly. Since this marker was designed with beginners in mind, it won’t take an hour just for you to figure it out. The design is pretty straightforward, and most users get the hang of it within a couple of minutes. So, if you’re someone trying paintball for the very first time and are feeling a bit intimidated regarding how well you’ll be able to handle your gear, getting a Tippman Cronus might give you the confidence boost you need.
- Great materials for the price. Since this gun is supposed to last you for years on end, its materials can’t be anything but great. Moreover, the internal gas line and molded body add to the longevity of the marker, setting it miles apart from other options in the same price range.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty. Should anything go wrong (e.g., the gun breaking down unexpectedly or it not living up to your standards), the company will take full responsibility. They’ll either replace the set or some of its components, make the necessary repairs, or award you a full or partial refund. However, be sure to read the warranty policies before purchasing.
- Can shoot up to 150 feet (46 meters) ahead. Considering that most paintball guns have a range of 80-100 feet (24-30 meters), the 150-foot range of Tippman Cronus is pretty impressive. This is an even more remarkable feature if you consider that there are far higher-end markers that don’t reach such a wide range, so if you’re often playing in spacious fields, the Tippman Cronus could serve you well.
- A bit bulky. Though 3.7 lbs (1.7 kg) might not seem like a lot to first-time players, experienced paintballers know just how much the marker can start weighing on you as time goes on. If you browse through other models on the market, even those in the same price range, you’ll notice that many of them are lighter for this exact reason. With that said, though being bulky has its drawbacks, it does add to the gun’s durability.
- Doesn’t include many high-end features that more expensive markers do. This con is to be expected with any lower-end gun, no matter how much value it offers for its price. Pricier models feature state-of-the-art technology that helps optimize precision and stability; however, when manufacturing costs are kept as low as possible, going the extra mile in terms of technology isn’t really feasible, so keep your expectations realistic.
- It might not operate optimally right off the bat. This marker usually needs a bit of a warm-up before starting to perform to its full potential. This can be especially true if its user is inexperienced. So, stay patient as you adjust and maneuver the gun until you find a comfortable position.
- If the venue you’re looking to play in doesn’t allow mechanical markers, you won’t be able to bring your Tippmann Cronus with you. Though most venues today allow all types of markers, there are still some fields that only favor electronic paintball guns. So, if you’re using a Tippman Cronus, you’ll have to research the venue you’re planning on playing in beforehand to see whether you’ll be able to bring your marker along.
If you’re looking to determine how this model compares to others on the market and which one would be the best choice for you, you might need to do some more research.
Is Tippmann Cronus the Best Budget Paintball Gun?
Is Tippmann Cronus the best budget paintball gun, as so many enthusiasts make it out to be? If you’re looking for the best bang-for-your-buck option, the Tippman Cronus is one of the best budget options.
It’s particularly good if you’re a beginner looking for a budget-friendly option.
However, your mileage may vary as the ideal option for each player ultimately depends heavily on preference. While most find no fault in Tippmann Cornus’ performance, others might find it too bulky and difficult to handle.
What I can say, though, is that Tippmann Cronus is one of my personal favorite paintball guns, and I believe many new players can get a lot of use out of it. It’s one of the most popular models on the market, and there’s a good reason for it.
Its simplicity, longevity, and reliability are qualities that are hard to come across, even in some high-end markers, so witnessing such a performance from such a budget-friendly option is really something to behold.
One thing’s for sure though. You’re guaranteed to get your money’s worth with a Tippmann Cronus, even if the gun is not to your liking.
Still, remember that while it’s a strong competitor, it’s not a top-end gun. So, it lacks premium features like an adjustable trigger. It also doesn’t allow for toolless maintenance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s answer some of your most frequently asked questions about the Tippmann Cronus marker.
Is Tippmann Cronus Easy To Break?
It’s no secret that paintball fights can get aggressive; in some cases, they can even become physical. That’s why you want to invest in a piece of equipment that can withstand even harsh throws and all types of physical contact.
Luckily, it takes more than a fall to break a Tippmann Cronus. This marker is made from great-quality materials and designed to last. So, if you accidentally drop your gun, don’t worry. You can pick it up right away, and it’ll continue working as usual.
That said, there’s a limit to the marker’s durability. If you throw it from a notable height, for example, I can’t guarantee that it’ll stay intact. However, that’s the case with all paintball guns, even the most luxurious ones, so I can’t really hold that against Tippmann Cronus.
How Far Can Tippmann Cronus Shoot?
The Tippmann Cronus can shoot up to 150 feet (46 meters) ahead, so it’s a great choice for large outdoor fields.
As expected, the precision decreases as distance increases. The most precise shots are usually taken within a 30-foot (9.1 meters) range. However, this is just a generalized estimation and is subject to drastic variations depending on who’s using the marker.
If you’re an especially skilled marksman, this range will widen by dozens of feet, so always take your own skill set into account when calculating your optimal shooting range.
A good way to estimate how wide your own shooting range will be is to take a paintball gun you already have and use and evaluate how far you can shoot with it without sacrificing precision too much. Here’s how you can do that:
- Go outdoors, preferably in a spacious field.
- Put targets across the space, measuring your distance from each.
- Start shooting to see which is the farthest target you can hit. That’s your current shooting range.
Then, check the manufacturer’s instructions (if you have them) or the brand’s website to see what’s the marker’s expected range. Compare the estimate with your actual results to see whether you’ve shot farther, closer, or the same exact range.
Though this method isn’t exact, it can help you figure out where you stand regarding manufacturer estimations. That way, when shopping for a new paintball gun, you can take its shooting range with a grain of salt and adjust as necessary to account for your skill set.
How Does Tippmann Cronus Operate?
Tippmann Cronus is equipped with a CO2 tank, but it can also use High-Pressure Air (HPA). I recommend choosing the latter, as it allows for smoother, more consistent shots. However, the choice is ultimately up to you.
If you’re not informed about the benefits and drawbacks of each alternative, I recommend reading this article. HPA is typically recognized as the better overall choice both for your performance and the longevity of your marker.
However, CO2 is the more budget-friendly option, so you should consider that as well.
What Are Some of the Best Alternatives to Tippmann Cronus?
If you’re intrigued by the Tippmann Cronus but aren’t fully sold on it, there are several alternatives that might be a better fit for you, depending on your preferences.
Here are some of them:
|Empire Mini GS Paintball Gun - Dust Black 2-pc Barrel||PrimeEligible||Check on Amazon|
|Maddog Dye Rize CZR Advanced HPA Paintball Gun Package - Black/Grey||PrimeEligible||Check on Amazon|
|Maddog Tippmann Stormer Elite Dual Fed Titanium HPA Paintball Gun Marker Starter Package - Black||PrimeEligible||Check on Amazon|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
- Empire Mini GS: This marker isn’t as affordable as the Tippmann Cronus, but it’s still relatively inexpensive compared to most other similarly-performing models. So, if you have an extra $250 to invest in your paintball gun, I highly recommend considering Empire Mini GS. Just like Tippmann Cronus, it’s long-lasting and high-performing, but unlike it, it’s also lightweight and compact.
- Spyder MR100 Pro: This is another excellent option if you’re set on not spending more than $200 on your marker. The Spyder is also ideal for beginners, as it’s quite easy to use. It’s also very accurate and a good alternative to the Tippmann Cronus, so I highly recommend giving it a try.
- Maddog Dye Rize CZR: This requires a slightly higher budget but might be worth the cost, depending on your preference. It’s one of the most accurate and reliable markers currently on the market. It also outperforms some top-end options, a quality that it shares with the Tippmann Cronus. It also comes with some more advanced features perfect for pros. And it comes as a bundle.
- Maddog Tippmann Stormer Elite: When looking for close alternatives, your best chance is sometimes among models of the same brand. This gun is a bit pricier than its counterpart. However, it also provides excellent value for its price, boasting the level of quality and performance that the manufacturer is known for. It also comes as a bundle (including a decent quality paintball mask). This is also the gun that I have included for a good reason in our Best Paintball Guns Under $500 article.
Each of these options would make an excellent investment, so base your choice mostly on budget constraints and feature preferences. If possible, go to a local paintball gear shop and try each of these options (Tippmann Cronus included) for yourself.
Tippmann Cronus is undoubtedly one of the best budget paintball guns on the market, with many players considering it their all-time favorite. However, if you’re looking to determine whether it’ll actually be worth it for you, it’s still a good idea to read through the information outlined above in order to make a more well-informed decision.
Even if you end up deciding against getting the Tipman Cronus, there are plenty of excellent alternatives to choose from, so you’re bound to find the perfect paintball gun that doesn’t break the bank.